Some of my favourite photos

Saturday 9 May 2015

Clay pipe

A little while ago I found some Clay Pipes and Pottery in the field after the farmer had ploughed it up.
I just remembered they were in my coat pocket.
This type of pipe was a disposable clay pipe which were popular in the 17th century, this one was probably from 1660 to 1760, meaning it is around 300 to 400 years old. Later ones were decorated and had larger bowls.
They were made of Kaolin and broke very easily. 
People smoked them until they broke and then threw them away where they were standing.
In 1619 there were over 100 clay pipe companies in London mass producing these clay pipes. 

All these pieces probaly weren't from the same pipe but I put them together to show what it might have looked like complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment